Featured

Abuse commission told nun ‘vilified’ Questions remain unanswered.

Sr Xavieria Lally of the Goldenbridge industrial school in Dublin, had been “demonised and vilified” over the past decade, with this “accepted in the public domain as fact”, Sr Helena O’Donoghue of the Sisters of Mercy told the Commission to Inquire into Child Abuse yesterday.

The nuns’ denials that children in the industrial school were “abused in a horrific way” had been “almost completely ignored”, she said.

Sr O’Donoghue, provincial leader of the south central province of the Sisters of Mercy congregation, was giving evidence to the commission’s investigation committee, which held a public hearing on St Vincent’s industrial school, Goldenbridge, yesterday. Proceedings on the school go into private session from Friday, until April 27th.

Sr O’Donoghue noted that,despite Garda investigation of complaints made after the 1996 Dear Daughter programme on Goldenbridge was broadcast, no criminal charges were brought.

The allegations of child abuse there “was a source of deep shock to us”, she said, and led to the congregation’s first apology in February 1996, for pain and hurt suffered. The congregation apologised again in May 2004.

“I reiterate those apologies. There were many aspects of Goldenbridge we deeply regret, but there were some serious, extraordinary allegations, especially as regards Sr Xavieria, which we do not, we cannot accept as correct – allegations of extreme physical punishment, starvation, malnourishment, or any child dead due to mistreatment,” she said.

Sr O’Donoghue was concerned such allegations appeared to have been accepted by the court of public opinion without any apparent examination.

From the 1940s there were 185 children at the school at any one time, with a staff ratio of one to every 30+ children round the clock. There was no training in childcare and the capitation system made it financially difficult. The regimental style with which the school was run emphasised conformity and relied on corporal punishment to maintain discipline. Sr O’Donoghue deeply regretted in particular the use of such punishment on children with bed-wetting problems.

She recalled the “particular bitterness of some former residents” where the practice of making rosary beads was concerned. Between 4pm and 6pm on weekdays, the children had to assemble 60 decades each, a quota which was to be completed after tea if not done before. She was unable to say whether the children were punished if they did not meet their quota.

She recalled there had been a small number of sex-abuse complaints, with just one definite. It concerned a groundsman who was complained of by one of the girls in 1962. The gardaí were informed by Sr Xavieria. The man was prosecuted and dismissed from his job.

Prior to Dear Daughter the congregation employed a childcare expert to look at complaints who, following preliminary investigation, found them “broadly credible”. It had also found that the regime (at Goldenbridge) was inadequate and did not meet the basic needs of the children.

There was no evidence of any complaints in the school archive, which Sr O’Donoghue said was “minimal” and she could not explain why there were no punishment books extant there, despite legislation prescribing these should be kept.

Inspectorate reports from the Department of Education, as discovered from Department files, were “consistently positive” from 1945, she said.

Senior counsel for the former residents John Rogers failed to secure an assurance from Mr Justice Seán Ryan that they would have a guaranteed opportunity to challenge Sr O’Donoghue’s comments on the allegations in the third phase of these proceedings.

Nor was he allowed introduce details from the 1996 report commissioned by the Sisters of Mercy, though it was agreed Sr O’Donoghue might be asked whether she accepted the report. She said she did, within its limitations.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/abuse-commission-told-nun-vilified-1.423503

MORE CHILD ABUSE SCANDALS IN IRELAND

I want to share a case with everyone who is interested in justice for survivors of child abuse, this case is the story of Mick Finnegan who was abused by a pedophile in St. John Ambulance

Mick was not the only person who was abused, Mick stood up and demanded justice and then other victims came forward and it was revealed that Mick was one of many victims of this same scumbag!

Mick championed his own case for 20 years and no body in government would listen to him, he emailed all TD’s pleading for help and to try stop the scumbag from abusing more children and Mick was ignored by everyone except for one TD Anne Babbitt who is a Fianna Fáil politician and due to this Mick got heard at last,

Mick’s case has struck a nerve with me because I never got the justice that he got, my case is not about the same abuser as Mick it’s not even the same organization, Mick is the victim/survivor of St John Ambulance and I am the victim/survivor of the (SISTERS OF MERCY) Sister Brenda Dolphin who is the head woman or should I say the head coward of the (SISTERS OF MERCY who DESTROYED THOUSANDS OF INNOCENT CHILDREN AND THEY LIED THEIR WAY OUT OF IT).

The sisters of mercy used the HSE for years to cover up their lies and now Safeguarding Ireland are covering up their lies.

The sisters of mercy destroyed and hid evidence from the redress board and denied their victims justice. MORE TO FOLLOW!!!

Back to the case of Mick Finnegan;

A man who was abused by a senior St John Ambulance officer in the 1990s has described his “relief” that the organisation’s failure to protect children has been revealed in a new report.

Mick Finnegan was in his teens when he when he was assaulted by the man, and has spent more than half his life campaigning for an investigation into what happened to him and other boys at the organisation.

The shocking report shows the the first aid charity failed – on multiple occasions – to properly investigate child protection risks or to bring complaints of child abuse to the gardaí.

“Literally in tears right now,” Mr Finnegan tweeted in response to the report this morning. “But the relief knowing that the truth is finally out there is huge.”

Mick reported allegations of sexual abuse to the gardaí and St John Ambulance more than two decades ago. The DPP decided not to prosecute, though Tusla deemed the allegations against the ex volunteer to be “founded” following a 2019 probe.

Mick recently protested outside the organisation’s headquarters as part of his call for the report to be published.

Read more;

https://m.sundayworld.com/news/irish-news/survivor-describes-relief-as-st-john-ambulances-failure-to-report-child-abuse-exposed/a282071443.html

Lugs Branigan. Hero of Justice or Brutal Bully?

Lugs Branigan. Hero of Justice or Brutal Bully?

This is the condensed (english language portion) version of the TG4 documentary on Dublin Garda Jim ‘Lugs Branigan (1910-

1986), who ruled the streets of Dublin with an iron fist (or glove) for many years on the streets of Dublin.

Joining the Gardai in 1931, he was promoted to detective Garda in 1958 Garda and Sergeant in 1963. He was put in charge of a mobile riot squad unit, the so-called

Prevention and Detection of Street Nuisances Unit, with which he remained active until his retirement. Lugs was always called upon to quell the trouble spots in Dublin with his particular brand of coercion.

Website Update

I am updating the website to include other aspects of society where highlighting is important to me and exposure is important to everyone.

I am going to highlight some cases regarding (Garda Wrongdoing) called “The Heavy Handed Gang”

Prime Time Investigates Garda Siochána, RTE One 8 January 2004, plus and Radio One This Week item on garda brutality 14

July 2002), with reporter Brendan O’Brien, producer, Niamh Sammon. Focus on garda accountability, allegations of beatings and perverting the course of justice. Plus Radio One This Week 14 July 2002 item on garda beating of two sisters in Dublin on 25 April 1998, followed by unsuccessful prosecution of the sisters, followed by action against the Garda Commissioner and the Minister for Justice, followed by Garda apology on the steps of the High Court 12 July 2002. Gerald Barry interviews Grainne Walsh, followed by Joe Costello TD interview.